Saturday, July 12, 2014

"She's the block. You're the chip."

.....at least that's what my dad always says :)  Honestly, I'd have to agree with him.  I may like kitchen dance parties and spontaneous adventures and she may prefer daily routine and peaceful evenings working on her latest craft project, but that's about where our differences end.  


We're dramatic.  We have the same shoe size.  We don't keep our opinions to ourselves.  We like to get things done.  We love "What Not To Wear."  We agree that high-low hemlines are never a good idea.  We can't say no to Ann Taylor Loft and Banana Republic clearance racks.  We are just slightly addicted to Chipotle's salad bowls.  And we can belt out the all the songs from the Sound of Music like there is no tomorrow.


This is the woman who was told she was crazy to have another baby when she was 40.  This is the woman who somehow survived my daily childhood temper tantrums.  This is the woman who bought me an E-Z Bake oven 14 years ago and hasn't been able to get me out of the kitchen since that day.  This is the woman who gave up 30 years of her life to teach her children at home.  This is the woman who dragged me into high school forensics, and then spent countless hours agonizing over speech after speech.


She has prayed over me, counseled me, challenged me, supported me, laughed with me, cried with me, argued with me, and loved me like no other person ever has.


Every time I went on stage to collect an award at an NCFCA tournament, I knew that all I had to do was look behind me to see that the biggest smile in the audience was cheering me on.  And in the times when my name wasn't called and I didn't move on, an arm was slipped around my shoulder and I was enveloped in a big hug.  


Now that I've ventured out into the "great big world," my favorite times of the week are the times when I can call home and unload all the latest news.  And no matter how far and wide I may wander, there is no feeling that can compare to pulling into the driveway and running inside to find all my favorite foods waiting on the kitchen counter.


When I said I wanted to do 5 speeches and debate in a competition year, she said, "Let's do it."  When I was accepted to Patrick Henry College, she said, "I couldn't be more excited for you."  When I survived my freshman year, she said, "I always knew you could do it."  When I said I was thinking about law school, she said, "Go for it!"


This Godly, beautiful, and caring woman truly is a worth far more than rubies.  The Proverbs are true when they say that "Her children rise up and call her blessed," and I can only hope to be like her someday.


Maybe I am a "chip off the block," but there is no one I would rather be like.  She is a constant example of Christ's love, she never fails to point me to the cross, and she is my hero.


I love you, Mama. 

No comments:

Post a Comment